Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May 31: All good things come to an end


I can't believe Me-Made-May is over!  The time has gone by so quickly.  My challenge to myself was to wear one self-made garment each day of the month, and I'm proud to say that I did achieve that goal.  This has certainly been the longest period of time in which I've worn something I made each day.  So often I cultivate a love-hate relationship with the clothing I make.  I'll stop sewing for weeks, months, unsatisfied with my own creations-- despite how hard I worked to design and sew them in the first place.  


If there's one thing that I've learned from Me-Made-May, it's that most of the garments I've made are actually very versatile pieces.  I may need to make a few more pieces in order to create an entire wardrobe, as I don't have very many basics.  Instead of making practical, wear-with-anything pieces, I tend to pick the most intriguing patterns (or fabric).  The end product of this approach?  Mostly stand-alone pieces, unless I'm feeling very daring.  And Me-Made-May has made me daring!  I have learned that it is just as easy to throw on a self-made ensemble as it is to put on the workhorse jeans and t-shirt.  Not only is it easy, it also makes me feel more confident about my sewing.


Here's what I wore:


Swiss-dot overblouse by me
Black shell (worn under) by me
Shorts - Cynthia Steffe 
Gladiators - 80%20

The overblouse is the one new item I finished this weekend.  This is one of those projects that was in my head for the longest time before I finally made it.  And, it only took one day, for both cutting out and sewing! I will share more details soon :)


3 comments:

  1. Megan, everything you made looked so good! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make amazing things! Also, I would have sworn you made those shorts and bought the tops, very surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing Me-Made-May! I just had some fun looking through your outfits, and I really love the way you play with color.

    ReplyDelete