Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Full Floral Skirt

Another month has past without a single blog post.  I can't believe I've been so lax.  Or maybe I can.  I've spent much of the last month straightening things out for a big move in August.  I have been making time to sew, but the projects I've chosen… Let's just call them high maintenance-- as in I've spent more time hunting for buttons than sewing!  


On the bright side, I found the right project to give me a little instant gratification while I wait for those buttons to materialize.  Using some gray floral poplin I bought from fabric.com and Verypurpleperson's very excellent easy full skirt tutorial, I made this: 


Styled with...
Racer-back pocket tank - Uniqlo
Drapey Silk Cardigan - TJ Maxx
Gladiators - 80%20


And one last shot-- testing out the twirl factor of the new skirt...
It looks like a keeper to me!

I should add that I made a couple modifications to my full skirt.  The waistband was created just like a self-fabric casing, only i left about 2 inches above the casing to make the paper bag effect.  I also added side-seam pockets in a contrasting (vivid fuchsia) fabric.  All skirts must have pockets!

It feels so good to finally finish a new project, and to be able to twirl in it.  What type of projects do pick when you're looking for a quick sewing fix?

2 comments:

  1. I love the paperbag effect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Very twirly :-).
    Hm, I always tend to turn to jersey when I need a quick sewinf-fix (most of the time, actually). Maybe because I've got a "new" serger.
    There should be an invite in your inbox now, enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete